Fun facts about Antarctica:
* Dogs have been banned from Antarctica to protect the seal population.
* Antarctica is actually a desert, receiving about the same amount of precipitation - Less than 2 inches a year - as the Sahara. Just a very cold, freezing desert.
* Antarctica is one-and-a-half times the size of the United States...much bigger than most people think.
* The coldest temperature ever recorded was -129 F in Antarctica on July 21, 1983.
* In the 1770s, the famous explorer Captain James Cook was the first person to sail into Antarctic waters.